The Best Fly Tying Starter Kit for a More Convenient Fishing Experience
Nearly every fly fisher – if you’ve been fishing for a while - ultimately begins with tying his or her own flies. There are so many reasons why this is so but it gives anglers a good start.
All those tools for fly tying might look confusing to you in the beginning, especially if you’re doing it without any assistance, and it can be difficult for you to find the proper equipment.
You may also wish to seek out the finest fly tying set as a whole package, or consider purchasing everything individually to complete your own fly tying set.
Whichever kit you choose, this review will provide you with good information and recommendations. So keep reading till the end.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
I. The Finest Fly Tying Starter Kit
So you decide to take the easier path and purchase a fly tying kit, containing all the things you need. Because you don’t like something that breaks easily after the first few flies, it is certainly not recommended to purchase just about any fly tying kit – especially the cheap ones.
An excellent fly tying kit should contain nearly everything you need. And then there is the tool set, which contains only tools.
The Finest Fly Tying Tool Set
There is another alternative, which I absolutely prefer to purchasing an all-in-one set such as the one described above. It includes buying a tool kit and choosing the materials yourself.
Numerous tool sets take in equipment from unexpectedly good quality materials, a few of them could even last a few years throughout your fly-tying livelihood or career.
Along with that, the shortage of tying materials can be beneficial. Why? Because choosing a pattern and selecting the materials makes a huge part of the real fun!
One of the reasons self-tying is very popular is because it encourages originality. Have you ever observed people at a fly saying “I would’ve done that differently!” That’s because they are expressing their own originality at the task.
Well, you too can express your originality! Plus, most fly tying tools are cheap!
Making Your Fly Tying Starter Kit
The other way to start in fly tying is by purchasing the necessary materials separately. On the whole, this will be more costly than the alternatives discussed above. But if you pick each part carefully, then you can have the finest fly tying kit.
I wouldn’t recommend purchasing the best of the best items though if you’re a beginner since the prices are nearly open-ended in this business and you must be certain that you like this leisurely pursuit, before dropping your money on it.
There are a handful of tools required if you want to have a very smooth start. On the other hand, I’ll only include the basic stuff that are certainly enough for tying your very own flies. I will provide you with a simple and brief description what they’re needed for as well as a recommendation of which tools will work well.
Whether you’re going to purchase all of them to collect the finest fly tying starter set, or if you purchased a kit a while ago and like to replace particular tools, this list will help you.
You may be aware of this already but in case you aren’t, you might like to check out this manual on fly tying – How to Tie A Fly Manual
II. 5 Best Fly Tying Starter Kit
Contains materials that allow you to tie efficient Saltwater flies. Included in the kit are dries, midges, streamers, etc. The product also stores the materials and tools in the tying materials bag. This is a great and organized way to take your tools and materials out in the wild.
- The Saltwater Kit comes with saltwater feathers, poppers, flash, eyes and many more.
- Comes with an instructional booklet.
- An important 6.5”x9” tying tools and materials bag for dubbing, tools, thread and the basic stuff.
- No vise included.
- It contains enough materials for tying a variety of flies including feathers, poppers, flash, eyes and many more.
- Due to its affordability, the materials are not really high grade. These are just for starters.
In 1989, Dr. Slick Co was founded by a doctor with an enthusiasm for Fly Tying and Fly Fishing. The idea for his fly tying and fly fishing tools were made to imitate the high quality feature of the specific tools utilized by surgeons and then adapted for streamside and fly tying uses. You will find unique and innovative tools to match your angling and tying needs. If you like precision tools created to last, you will need DR. SLICK
- Dr. Slick fly tying tools are durable, simple to use and aesthetically pleasing.
- Dr. Slick fly tying kit is usefully packed in a foam lining in a large fly box’s back portion.
- You get the most necessary fly tying tools aimed toward the novice and the professional fly tyer just all in a single gift set.
- All Dr. Slick instruments go through a six-step inspection course to guarantee the highest quality feature possible.
- Ideal as a gift, or a fly tying tool set for starters.
- It has an easy step by step instructions and complete materials for the convenience of the user.
- As expected from a starter fly tying kit, the kit is not high grade and works best only as a hobby.
The super deluxe fly tying kit takes in all the materials and tools of the standard deluxe starter kit along with a boxed tool set, fully loaded dubbing dispenser, magnetic hook box loaded with hooks, as well as a compartment pop-top plastic box filled with beads and eyes. All of these things are packed in a functional plastic carry case.
- Dyed Rabbit Fur from Chile
- The deluxe kit includes all tools and materials plus more
- Make even many flies compared to the deluxe kit
- All items are packed in a plastic carry container
- Has a complete set of tools that allow the user to make multiple ties.
- The container is not as sturdy as some customers would have preferred.
Start tying your very own flies with the Colorado Angler Supply’s Nine-Piece Standard Fly Tying Tool Kit. FEATURES: Vise along with Pedestal base, Seven Quality tools, and includes Basic Fly Tying instruction book.
- Built in base
- Handy wooden carrying container
- Includes one vise and seven tools
- The instruction book is perfect for starters who are still exploring the activity.
- Some people think the design is a bit old-fashioned but it’s not really a big deal as long as the kit does its job.
This Tying Tool Kit comes with 9 tools and a pouch. It will hold your tools into place and organize your materials. The product is easy to pack and carry.
- Comes with a pouch
- Contains 9 tools
- Pouch that organizes tools and materials
- Easy to store and transport
- The pouch keeps the tools and materials well set into place.
- Some users wished there were more than 9 tools inside the fly tying kit.
It is safe to assume that by this time, you would agree with me that the best fly tying kit will make a difference in your fishing activity. We have presented to you five of the best brands on the market today and you can choose one or several depending on your needs.
Among the five models, I particularly like the Scientific Anglers Deluxe Fly Tying Kit best. I like the fact that the kit comes with a durable plastic case that easily locks and opens. The kit is complete with all the materials I need for fishing.
Watch this video to get a better perspective of the Scientific Anglers Deluxe Fly Tying Kit:
We hope you enjoyed your post. Which among the 5 best Flying Kits is your favourite? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.