Have you tried kayak fishing yet? Are you looking forward to upgrading to a kayak that best suits your fishing needs? There is no doubt that kayaks top the list of hottest trends in fishing right now.
Whether you are a boat fisherman that recognizes the relatively inexpensive and exciting way to get out of water, or a recreational kayaker with the desire to bring his or her fishing passion aboard a plastic vessel, or a shore-bound fisherman that wants to get to a kayak in order to reach distant fish or new waters, there is something magical with kayak fishing.
Many people are intimidated by the thought of fishing using a kayak. If you are one of them, you need to know that contrary to what it looks; kayak fishing is a lot safer and easier.
In the recent past, manufacturers have started constructing kayaks that are specifically tailored for fishermen. A majority of these crafts are incredibly comfortable and stable. Most if not all of them bring with them a number of rod holders. Others feature livewells, anchor systems, and tackle hatches.
With the numerous kayaks for fishing out there, there is an excellent chance that you’ll find a kayak that will address all your needs.
** Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer's review on Amazon
Which Is The Best Kayak For Fishing?
How do you select the best fishing kayak? The bottom line is that when it comes to choosing the best kayak for fishing, you will never find a one-size-fits all. Before making a decision on buying a kayak for fishing, the prudent thing to do is take stock of how and where you intend to do most of your fishing and paddling.
Identify your needs -- do you plan to do your fishing in freshwater ponds for the largemouth bass, or rivers and navigating streams to grab the small bass and trout?
Will you be poking around flats, saltwater harbors, and estuaries for bluefish and striped bass?
Do you intend to venture out in the open ocean and proceed to launch through surf?
Will your kayak be strictly a fishing vessel?
Do you desire to use it for recreation and relaxation with your family?
All these are pertinent questions that need concrete answers when in the market for the best kayak for fishing.
After thinking about exactly what you need and want from a fishing kayak, it is time to zoom in on the few that match your desired criteria. At this point, demo them all.
Top 5 Best Kayak For Fishing
- The Malibu kayak stealth 14 provides an Inch CBTS-Inch and a 3-hatch system to ensure you enjoy a convenient and spacious mid-ship-bait storage system
- This fishing kayak boasts great performance and superior stability on water
- Store your fishing equipments and accessories on the center live and patented casting platform well storage system
- It has an extremely wide cockpit area that holds the casting platform firmly and perfectly
- The kayak brings with it a highly adjustable foot track system to ensure you have optimum paddling strength
- Other features you can look forward to include side carry paddle/handles holders, stern and bow handles, nylon hooks, drain plug with base, eyelets and a cup holder.
Honestly, there is almost nothing negative to say about the Malibu Kayaks Stealth 14, but here are some of its drawbacks.
- Not Very Fast
- Might not be great for extended or long trips
This is another amazing kayak for fishing. Here are its pros and cons:
- The Hobie Mirage Outback Kayak brings with it stunning features such as ample storage space
- It also features great seats for utmost comfort that no other model can beat. The kayak has pedals that normally add an extra appeal.
- From the extensive research, this kayak has an attractive design that is incomparable with any other kayak in its price range.
- Some people are fond of working behind a desk but anglers prefer working from their kayaks. When it comes to kayak fishing, you will surely find nothing better compared to this hands-free, functional, stable, and high quality kayak.
- It features the Hobie MirageDrive that enables you to steer and paddle hands-free. This way, you’ll be able to enjoy your fishing expedition. When steering with your paddle, move with utmost reliability.
- A great attribute I loved about this fishing kayak is the fact that it has a highly adjustable high-back padded seat for maximum comfort.
- Compared to other fishing kayaks with the same features, the Hobie Mirage Outback Kayak is relatively more expensive.
- Hand holds on both sides aren’t well centered
- When out of water, it is difficult and heavy to handle
This is the best fishing kayak under 500
- This best fishing kayak has a highly comfortable seat backrest that comes in handy in your long fishing and paddling adventures
- It has a highly stable flat bottom with stability chine rails and deep tracking channels all designed for utmost stability and extreme safety
- It is constructed from blow-molded HPDE (High-density polyethylene) for maximum impact resistant, durability and UV protection.
- The kayak has a fifty-two pound design coupled with a rear/front carry handles that make it extremely easy to transport from and to the waterfront.
- Finally, this fishing kayak has two 6’’ center compartments, multiple footrest positions, shock cord straps and fishing rod holders with an array of other ‘extras’ to improve your fishing and handling experience.
- According to many reviews, most users have an issue with the warranty -- many reviewers were of the opinion that they did not receive any help from the warranty department
- Others complained of their kayaks having issues upon delivery such as a missing bow plug
- The fishing kayak is designed specifically for children of ages 5 or anyone up to 130 pounds
- It has a wide stance that offers stable paddling platform to make your little one remains safe while in the kayak
- It brings with it a swim-up and stopped back step that allows a rider to re-enter the kayak without any stress
- For enhanced stability, the kayak features scupper holes for draining the cockpit, numerous footrest positions for an array of size riders as well as a reverse chine
- It includes a black in color double-sided paddle that any kid into fishing would surely love
- The molding of the kayak does not look that smooth
- Some people complained that its seats were terrible
The Feel Free Lure 11.5 kayaks take kayak fishing to a completely new level when it comes to versatility, comfort, and stability. The smaller and more compact kayak is a perfect choice for short trips on lakes and rivers without compromising the features.
- This kayak has patent pending, extra wide, multi-level and removable gravity seat that provides seat heights adjustable by using a simple lever.
- For easy transportation, the kayak has removable lever.
- The fact that the kayak’s seat has the capability to sit flush on its deck for additional stability and efficient paddling makes it stand out from the rest. There is no doubt about that.
- It has a multi-level pending gravity seat that makes it very easy to raise-up in order to gain optimal height for fishing.
- It is highly durable, stable meaning you can honestly fish all day
- This kayak has very slow paddling
According to many people, there is no such thing like the best kayak for fishing. Some people will always have something that they want to customize or change in order to fit their personality and address their needs.
However, after extensive researching and testing, it is true to say that indeed, there exist best fishing kayaks. Without a doubt, the above are some of the best kayaks in the market. Depending on your needs, you can pick any of them. You will definitely not regret it. They meet most of the needs and wants of fishermen/women.
Nevertheless, after researching extensively and passing through countless online reviews, it is prudent to give credit where it is due. Honestly, after comparing the above five best kayaks for fishing, it is true to say that the Malibu Kayaks Stealth 14 carries the day when it comes to the best kayak for fishing. It tops the list of most versatile kayaks for padding and fishing.
Anglers can use it in almost all types of water. Its central bait storage system is not only useful but also convenient. The unique design of the kayak and material used in its construction makes it high durable. Since its wide, it offers maximum stability. Without a cloud of doubt, it’s true to say that the Malibu Kayaks Stealth 14 carries the day when it comes to the best kayak for fishing.
All the best in your search for the best kayak for fishing ... Have a look at these best sellers on Amazon. It might be a great place to start.
If you have anything you'd like to add to this post, please leave your comments in the section below! Please share this article with anyone you know who is looking for a new fishing kayak. And Canoe vs. Kayak – Which One To Settle For? You can read here