Sometimes we’re so centered on making certain that we have the proper lures, the smoothest reels, and the best pole, that we overlook having the important equipment that makes our tasks that much easier – fishing pliers.
Every experienced angler would admit to finding the most important utility in a fishing plier. Owning the right fishing pliers is like owning a highly trained dog – both are highly functional, and you can be proud of them.
But how do we choose and use the best fishing pliers? Well, there are a lot of stuff to consider when it comes to that, and you will discuss them all here. We will also feature the top 5 best fishing pliers of 2017.
So read on...
I. Choosing the Best Fishing Pliers – Factors to Consider
There are numerous remarkable qualities of fishing pliers that will be advantageous to your fishing activities. You can select the best pliers according to these qualities, especially if you’re looking for one to suit your needs.
If finding the most excellent unit is difficult for you, then know that taking these qualities into account will make it easier for you to pick the right product or brand.
Fishing pliers can only be as great as the material it is manufactured from. The pliers with the best materials can aid you in unhooking the line and free the fish from it's hook. They don’t easily rust out. New-fangled standard pliers are constructed from quality aluminum alloys.
So far, aluminum has been the most excellent material for pliers as it is a strong material that does not rust easily. Also, this material is naturally lightweight, making the pliers easy to transport and utilize. The majority of high-end models are now manufactured from airport-grade ones.
2. Nose Length and Design
Needle nose pliers are the most common fishing pliers. Anglers adore these kinds of pliers for good reasons. The length and design of needle nose pliers enable the user to go deeper while detaching the hook. Aside from being good pliers, they are also ideal for saltwater fishing and fishing large fish.
Also, you can select a split ring specialty or split ring capability pliers. The variation of nose pliers will be determined by the type of task they can carry out as well. Because of their hooked nose, split ring fishing pliers are smaller and thicker than their saltwater counterparts.
3. Their Functionality
The fishing pliers are manufactured from various materials, with every material having its special quality that makes it unique from the rest. And you can select your pliers according to its cutting capabilities. Good pliers will feature a side cutter and line cutter.
While all fish pliers feature the line cutter, not all include a side cutter. Due to the different tasks the line cutter is supposed to tackle, it must be sufficiently strong to cut even the fluorocarbon, monofilament, and braided line.
You can steel wires or cut hooks only with a firm side cutter. Numerous top-notch fishing pliers have detachable cutters so you can constantly replace it once it deteriorates.
4. Soft Grip Handle
The handle should be comfortable on the hand every time you use the plier. In an ordinary fishing day, you may find yourself in a busy situation where you have to catch a lot of fish, and so you have to be comfortable with your pliers.
With all the things you have to do – such as cutting and removal of the hook - your hands are vulnerable to pressure and pain, especially if you’ve been using the plier for too long and your handle is not comfortable enough. Be sure also that the pliers you purchase have nice non-slip handles.
Here’s a video that features some of the best pliers in the market today. You will find that a bulk of these pliers are in our top 5 list:
II. The Top 5 Best Fishing Pliers
- Specs: Aluminium body along with stainless steel jaws
- Weight: 8.3 ounce
- Length: 7.5 inches
T-Reign has made one of the most excellent and heavy-duty fishing pliers. They’re known as the “T-Reign Prosheath Fishing Pliers.” The ProSheath pliers are constructed from a tough aluminum body along with stainless, corrosion-resistant, steel jaws with a crimper and a split ring opener. It’s equipped with detachable tungsten carbide cutters, sufficiently rigid to trim braided line. It includes two features that truly distinguish these pliers from the rest.
- First, is its service policy. Well, you can be at ease that you’re buying a first-class product when the business stands by their products with service policies. T-Reign provides a five-year service policy on their pliers. Also, they provide a lifetime service warranty for their sheath.
- This brings us to the following distinctive feature- the 36-inch internal, self-drawing tether that affixes the pliers to its sheath. Also, the sheath is unique per se. It’s a nylon molded one that features both belt clip as well as belt loops to fasten it. This sheath and the excellent service policy indeed makes these pliers like no other.
- It does not say that the cutter blade can be replaced.
- Specs: Aluminium body along with Tungsten Steel Tips
- Weight: 6.0 ounces
- Length: 7.7 inches
Booms Fishing X1 has become a popular fishing plier on the market today, and for a few good reasons. They’ve produced a durable product. The pliers are manufactured with a body of aluminum that measures 7.7 inches and weighs 6 ounces.
- It features heavy-duty Tungsten steel tips with a split ring opener and crimper. It includes a pouch and a lanyard. Available in various colors.
- They provide a lifetime guarantee, a hundred percent money back for all non-artificial damage. You read that right - a lifetime guarantee. With that alone, it gives you calm and peace of mind that you’re buying a first-class product. As previously stated, it means significantly when a business is keen in standing behind their product. The company stands behind their durable fishing pliers.
- In spite of the sharp and tough blades, it can’t cut trylene, 50-bls of mono line and other such lines. It makes the produce more suited for the mid-ranged or light catch.
- Specs: Aluminium body along with stainless steel jaws
- Weight: Little over 3 ounces
- Length: 6.7 inches
The Piscifun Fishing Pliers are a certainly amazing set of pliers ideal for saltwater or fishing. One nice feature of these pliers is that they’re very lightweight, with a weight at a tad over 3 ounces. When you imagine something lightweight, perhaps you immediately think they’re made from an inexpensive material, or they could be missing a few of the whistles and bells. We can’t disagree with you more. These pliers’ body is constructed from a corrosion-resistant aluminum. It is available two colors red or blue.
- The jaws are tough, stainless, inserts. Meaning, you can simply say goodbye to those pliers that freeze up when you require them on the boat. And the jaws feature a split ring opener, which makes hook replacement on topwater catches a breeze. These cutters are adequately sharp to cut braid, monofilament, and fluorocarbon line. The great part is that they’re detachable. No need to purchase yourself, new pliers, each time the cutter deteriorates. Simply purchase brand new cutters and affix them to the pliers.
- Tired of losing your pliers? Never again misplace the fishing pliers, with nylon, durable pouch with a removable lanyard. Certainly, we can say with confidence that you will not be dissatisfied with your choice of Piscifun Fishing Pliers.
- The pliers are incapable of pinching anthing smaller than a fingernail.
- Specs: Aluminium body along with stain-less steel jaws
- Weight: Little over 3 ounces
- Length: 7 inches
Zitrades Aluminum Fishing Pliers are one thing to add to this list of the top fishing pliers. Boat fishing, with water, always splashing in isn’t a perfect place to have metal pliers because they can rust fast and stiffen on you at a very important moment. You won’t have that issue with this set of pliers. They were made with the typical fisherman in mind. Also, they were made to last.
- The pliers’ body is constructed from a durable aluminum along with 420 stainless jaws. Also, they are a good size, which comes in at 7 inches or 18 cm and yet extremely light weight a tad over 3 ounces.
- Another good thing I love about these pliers is their grip design. Following handling fish, attempting to get rid of the hooks, or alter lures with damp, slimy fingers can be extremely difficult. The Zitrades pliers’ design grip makes them very simple to hold on to.
- The sharp cutters are found on within the jaws. They’re sufficiently sharp to cut braided line or wire steel. Much like Piscifun, the tip includes a split-ring opener, good for separating rings and detaching hooks.
- These pliers are excellent for stripping, cutting, pulling and crimping.
- What it features is a nylon sheath as well as a removable lanyard.
- Has the tendency to become slippery with moisture.
- Specs: Aluminium body along with tungsten carbide cutters
- Weight: 6.5 ounces
- Length: 7.5 inches
With the MadBite Fishing Pliers, you’ll no longer have to fear missing out. Unlike any other pliers we’ve reviewed, this pair includes a tiny flashlight. This tiny, but great light releases just enough luminescence for you to see what you’re doing. Just twist it, and you’re ready to go. Perfect for night time.
- They’re a first-class pair of aluminium-bodied pliers with extremely sharp cutters. And best of all is that they’re saltwater approved.
- Also, they’re rather large. They’re 7.5 inches long that has a 3.2-inch jaw length. However, they’re extremely light with weigh in at 6.5 ounces.
- Very lightweight for such an enormous set of pliers. And with that weight, perhaps, you won’t even notice they’re much bigger than the others.
- On the other hand, as with the majority of fishing equipment, it’s always recommended to provide your equipment with a bath of clean freshwater as you return from saltwater fishing. This will inhibit corrosion and extend their life.
III. Using Fishing Pliers
- Open the pliers’ handle to open its jaws.
- Next, open the split rings via pressing the pliers’ nose between the split’s rings.
- Make certain the split rings’ pointed ends are aligned so that they’re close to the end portion of the ring.
- Grasp the pliers securely while you slip the old hook on all sides of the ring until it emerges out the split ring’s open end. Make certain that you slip the pliers around the split ring in a manner that the ring stays open for the hook to go through.
- Open the split ring once more, and slip the hook into the open portion. Make certain that the hook is in position on the ring before slipping the pliers around the split ring, thus, keeping it open enough to slip the new hook via the opening.
- Carry out these processes once again until the hook empties the ring as well as is in position.
- Get rid of the pliers from the split ring.
- As soon as finishing these steps, the lure will be completely ready for catching fish with the new hook.
- Repeat steps one to eight for all damaged or dull hooks.
One crucial tool that makes fishing easier and more satisfying is a great pair of fishing pliers. And with their great availability on the market today, newbies will find it hard to determine the best brands. This post just gave you the information that you need including the top five best fishing pliers.
Whether you’d have a fruitful day fishing on the water of just another disappointment is largely determined by the tools and equipment you are using. If you own the most excellent fishing pliers, the tedious jobs of rig building, removing fish-hook and other tasks are much easier to handle.
Also, with all qualities considered, Madbite Fishing Pliers are the top ones because they’re equipped with friendly features and are an excellent deal for the cash.